Did you know that your teeth can be damaged by the foods and drinks we eat? Although our permanent teeth are capable of lasting a lifetime, we must still take care of them. This includes keeping them clean and clear of harmful food particles. You can actively protect your smile by avoiding or limiting the following foods and drinks:
– Sugars and Carbohydrates: Sugars and carbohydrates can be converted into harmful acids by bacteria in our mouths. Due to the negative effects that sugar has on our bodies, it is best to avoid it whenever possible.
– Sour Snacks: Sour snacks are extremely high in acidity with some brands sharing nearly the same pH levels as battery acid. To prevent increased risks of dental erosion, remove sour snacks from your diet.
– Hard or Tough Foods: Avoid foods that can easily crack or chip your teeth, including steak, corn on the cob, candy apples, and many more.
– Sticky Sweets: Avoid foods that easily stick to the roof of your mouth or to your teeth and gums, as they can be difficult to wash away with brushing and flossing alone. These products include taffy and gummy treats.
– Acidic Snacks: If a product has a low pH, it stands a good chance it can damage your tooth enamel. Products like citrus fruits, soda drinks, and candies are some of the biggest offenders when it comes to acidity.
To schedule your oral exam or professional cleaning at College Hill Dental Group with Dr. Haslam and our team at our dental office in Corvallis, Oregon, we invite you to give us a call at 541-753-8365. We are here to help you with all of your oral health needs!